We are a committee under the Pike County Historical Society. The Historic East School is a National Register site that serves as a Pike County museum. Learn more here.
New Philadelphia was the first town in the United States platted and legally registered by an African American, Free Frank McWorter. This orginzation has been dedicated to preserving and promoting the town's history since 1996. Learn more here.
This museum recognizes all known Pike County veterans for their service whether or not their service was associated with a war or conflict. They also tell the history of each war and conflict in which Pike County veterans fought. Learn more here.
Daughters of the American Revolution is a women's service organization dedicated to promoting historic preservation, patriotism, education and honoring America's veterans and especially the ones who fought in the Revolutionary War. Learn more here.
Borrowmans have lived in Pike (and Calhoun, originally part of Pike) County since 1838. This Spring Creek Township property, now remodeled, has been home to descendants of Andrew Borrowman since it was built in 1891. This family donated nearly $2,000 to our efforts. Thank you!!
The National Society Daughters of the Union 1861-1865, formed in January 1912, is a hereditary society to honor the soldiers and patriots who were dedicated to preserving the Union during the Civil War. We strive to foster a spirit of patriotism, loyalty, and love of country. Our National motto is "Let Us Have Peace.". The local Gen.William P. Carlin Chapter was chartered May 17, 2008. Learn more here.
The Rotary Club of Pike County was chartered on April 12, 1938 and was initially called the Pittsfield Rotary Club. As the Club’s membership evolved over time with members joining the club from all of Pike County, the Club updated its name to reflect its membership base. Rotary is a global network of 1.2 million neighbors, friends, leaders and problem-solvers who see a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change – across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves. Our motto is Service above Self. Learn more here.
The Barry Historical Museum was founded in 1984 by Norton Walther who had gained permission to turn the unused upper floor of the library, also known as the Brown Building (built in the early 1900s with money left by Mary Brown), into a museum. The museum houses many artifacts and pictures that tell Barry's history, including Dr. Baker's desk and a Civil War flag. Juanita Metcalf and Dee Forshey served as beacons to move the museum forward after Norton Walther. Learn more here.
Pittsfield Public Library, in its earliest form, started in 1855. Among the first
trustees was John G. Nicolay, editor of a local newspaper, later to become
personal secretary to President Lincoln. Today, housed in the Carnegie building built for us in 1906, we are still serving the community with books, audio and visual material, public access computers, wi-fi access, children’s programs, a growing collection of local history and genealogy resource materials, and many other services. Learn more here.